Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Happy whatever holiday is it from Coldspring, TX

The rain is back!  Yesterday the store clerk in Navasota told me that the town rescheduled Halloween for the 30th due to the expected rain for the 31th.  Apparently, there was too much rain and thunder last year for the kids to trick-or-treat.  An observation that I have as a travel through various towns is Texas is how nice it is to see how many stores in relatively small towns are local.  One does not find a Home Depot on every corner.  However, Wal-Mart is the King of Retail in towns of any size.

Today I had the opportunity to drive through County Roads, and what Texas labels as "FM" or Farm to Market Roads, and Spur Roads, (a frontage road  that usually runs parallel to the freeway.  It's complicated and I am reminded how much easier it was for me to navigate the freeway system in Southern California with a Rand McNally map.  

My navigation skills, challenged as they are, worked because I managed to rendezvous with the cyclists twice.  The first time I located them they were drenched from the inside and the outside. The second spot is where we are staying for the night.  One would think that locating places in small towns would not be so complicated.  WRONG!

Anyway, the drive through the Sam Houston Wildlife area was beautiful in spite of the rain.   One of the spots where I stopped, a Zamzow's kind of store, I met two cats who, when I spoke to them, gave me a look and went back to sleep.

I think we are getting closer to the Louisiana border and may be out of Texas in few days.  Texas is an interesting place as my photos from yesterday show. I had to chuckle that the town of Warrenton had some eccentric displays of art and other towns one will find a church on every corner.

Everyday is an adventure, as is every town in Texas.




1 comment: