Saturday, October 6, 2018

Oct 6, 2018--Misadventures

I made it to Phoenix, Sun City, and Mesa multi-times today due to my lack of and then complicated navigation directions from Google!!  I managed to drive from Wickenburg to Scottsdale, AZ and then the Sun City-- where all the confusion on my part began.  The funny part was that I was thinking that the other drivers in Sun City were geographically challenged!  Nope, totally me.

To top things off there was a traffic jam on I10 involving construction and an accident.   I almost had a panic attack as I drove from Sun City to Mesa because the freeway sign noted South to Tucson.  My fear was that I would have to drive to Tucson before figuring out what happened to the exit in Mesa.

During my misadventure today on various roads, I worried about my cyclists and how many twists and turns they encountered to avoid all the traffic.  I am at the motel waiting for them to arrive.

I am behind on posting photos on my website and also the blog.  I will post a few and try not to delete, etc. the entry and/or the photos.  I need a huge learning curve to blog, and especially to drive in the big city of Phoenix.

Tent camping in Hope, AZ.  By day the RV Campground is quiet, by night a race track for trucks long the highway.  

This is my tent complete with an entry mat.  In spite of my height, I have to kneel to crawl into the tent.  FYI:  I practiced setting up this tent in my mom's yard as to avoid setting the tent up for the first time in the dark, rain and wind.  

Yesterday we had lunch at a great Mexican restaurant in Aquila, AZ.  As I waiting for the gang I met another cyclist who was riding solo and on his way from Huntington Beach to Phoenix.  I grew up in Huntington Beach.  This guy was originally from New Jersey and has been living in HB for several years.  I really enjoyed talking to him about HB.  Unfortunately, as he pulled out to get back on the road one of the bike tires when flat.   

I have been on the road for one week.  It has been both fun and frustrating, more fun than frustrating.  Hopefully, tomorrow will be picture taking day rather than driving in circles.  








1 comment:

  1. Wow Google giving wrong directions who would have thought it! Just follow the fellow ahead of you he knows where he is going! Be safe!!

    ReplyDelete