Saturday, November 10, 2018

Sunny! Blue Skies! Cold! Flags

Across the street from the motel where we stayed the night was a car dealership. The front lot was empty this morning and to my delight the lot was soon filed with vintage cars. Can you believe that cars from the 70's are in the "vintage" category??   Prior to hitting the road, I took a few photos of the cars.





Not too long after getting on the highway, I crossed into Alabama and found the wandering cyclists.  I fed them a few PayDay bars and told them that I would see them in Fairport because I was headed to do some sightseeing in Mobile, AL.  Wrong!  I stopped at a local fruit/vegetable stand soon after arriving in Alabama to buy sweet potatoes.  The sign advertised 20 pounds for $5.99.  I wondered how I could sneak/hide 20 pounds of fresh, local, sweet potatoes into the Tacoma without anyone noticing.  I settled on 4 small sweet potatoes and as soon as I walked out of the store, guess who I ran into?  The cyclists?  I had to convince that guys that I exercised a lot of restraint buy only buying 4 sweet potatoes instead of 20 pounds.  


Boiled peanuts! 


When I arrived in Mobile I had the opportunity to tour the USS Alabama.  Great photo opportunity and I really missed not having my dad with me to share the experience.  I have many fond memories of he and I packing up our camera equipment and visiting the local air shows in Idaho.  He would have loved the WWII Museum in New Orleans and also the tour that I took today.





The motel where I am staying is within walking distance of the beach and also an Italian restaurant by the name of Gambino's.  The food was exceptional!



1 comment:

  1. Wow hose are some beautiful cars! You should have asked them if they would ship the sweet taters to Idaho? You know a friend who would keep some for you! Glad you found rooms at the beach! Stick a toe in the gulf for me! Glad you had fun at UssAlabama.

    ReplyDelete