Friday, November 2, 2018

Day 33 Silsbee, Texas to DeRidder, Louisiana! Crossed the line!!

Day 33.  We crossed the line into Louisiana today - after 19 days in Texas.  Texas is a BIG state indeed!!  We did  73.6 miles and only gained 950 feet all over the day.  This part of the world is FLAT as well.
We spent the night at a campground in Silsbee, Texas, just north of Beaumont. While there we met a great couple literally living at the trailer park/camping area in an RV.  This was Tom and Lydia Ishmael (sp).  Tom builds guitars and Lydia tends grandkids and makes great coffee, which helped me get going on this cold morning.


On the way out the gate, there were great recommendations - not that we needed all them.

While it was cool last night, with the sun the temps went up fairly quickly and there was thankfully no rain.

Along the way, Gayle and Paul P. heard a railroad signal dinging, but no train showed up!?  I finally gave up and stopped dinging.
We did get to the town of Bon Wier.  The sign was actually bigger than the town, but we did have a drink there and we needed it.  The drink that is.


About a mile or so after Bon Wier, we crossed out of Texas (after 19 days!) into Louisiana!



Time for some Cajun Food!  I did meet some Cajun's too.  Here are some I stopped and chatted to.  They were digging a hole in some very wet mud, but seemed to have a cause.  I did not offer to help.
Along the way I saw several abandoned looking buildings, but you know down here not cutting the weeds/vines just about every day results in the loss of a house.  This is what i mean.


 


Then there is the "I can't believe they put this on a sign" column.

Finally, I usually go to the Root Salon in Boise to get my hair cut, and will do so shortly after getting home.  Here is the southern version of that.
So, it looks like we will spend about five days in Louisiana, and that includes a visit to New Orleans - for industrial-grade coffee!
Paul C

2 comments:

  1. Hi Paul, hope you dry out soon. FYI I spent 4 years in DeRidder LA early in my career with Boise Cascade. Certainly not a place I wanted to stay..........

    ReplyDelete